I've been tagged for my first meme. Mama Lily tagged me. This one looks like fun too. So here goes.
1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Defnitely hot chocolate. Sarah brings home eggnog shakes and I think they are disguisting.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Same as Mama Lily, Santa doesn't visit our house. We wrap the presents ourselves. It's very funny when Nathan kicks me out so he can wrap my present. He doesn't even like to put it under the tree in case I guess what it is.
3. Colored lights on the tree/house or white? Well, I grew up with colored lights and always thought that trees should have colored lights. Until I got my own tree that is. We do all white lights inside now. White lights are for houses. I'm very picky about my outside lights. Icicle lights are my favorite.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? This is the first year that I've had mistletoe up. It's caught some people by surprise. It's very entertaining. It's not real obvious where it's hung either so some people will have to hunt for it.
5. When do you put your decorations up? I start putting things up after Thanksgiving dinner. This tradition started a few years ago when my husband's family all went home right after dinner one year. Andrew was in bed and Nathan and I didn't really have anything to do. So he got out the tree and we started putting it together. Now every year I like to get my tree up soon.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish, excluding dessert? I have to agree with Mama Lily again. Defnitely Cranberry Relish and sweet potato souffle.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? This answer kind of takes care of two questions. When I was little my brother's best friend played Santa at the local mall. I knew that Santa was just a story and he wasn't real. The whole family went to the mall to Santa Bob, as he was called. Fastforward to Christmas eve, I had been in bed a long time, I think I was 4 or 5. Bob's parents called and asked if they could bring Bob over to see me. He had been at a party in his costume and they had some presents for me. My mom got me out of bed and I remember sitting on the love seat in front of the fire with my sister,Shagga Bear. The candles on the mantel had dripped way down, almost to the floor. Next thing I know, in walks Santa. I SCREAMED and ran into the other room. I knew it was Bob but Santa was in my house on Christmas eve. I kept jumping up and down and peeking around the corner. I eventually sat on his lap and I even remember what his parents got me for Christmas. I got a box of crayons, and blank pad of drawing paper, and a couple of small story books. I still have one in my chest in the attic. It's called Teddy Bears Love Hugs.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?That goes along with the last answer. I do remember when I got in trouble for telling my cousin that Santa wasn't real. Aunt Kathy called my mom and fussed at her. I think I was 5. I just thought everyone knew that he wasn't real. Oops. Sorry Kacy! :)
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? When I was little we always waited until Christmas morning to open our presents. Now that I'm older we all draw names, sibblings and sibblings in law. We usually have our grown up time on Christmas eve. We have a party and sometimes there are gag gifts. My husband's first family Christmas was QUITE memorable.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I use white lights and lots of blue ornaments. I also have some "vintage" ones from my mom, and all the ones I made growing up. I put ribbon around my tree also.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread It? Both, I love to watch it falling and everything covered in white. I also do not like going out in the snow. Hopefully this year I will finally get to go sledding or intertubing.
12. Can you ice skate? Yes I can. I haven't been since I was in the eighth grade. We should do that sometime.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? One year I got a puppy for Christmas. Her name was Candy, short for candycane, because I got her at Christmas. Another Christmas, in Nigeria, I got a puppy. His name was Rebel. He was a great dog, and a real big baby.
14. What is the most important thing about the holidays to you? I love traditions, doing the same thing every year. One of those is our family advent wreath. Our Christmas eve candle is always the best.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Ya know, with so many things I can't eat and things I really really don't like, like pizellis, I really don't have a favorite dessert. Auntie Linda's creme horns are the best.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Christmas eve with the whole family.
17. What tops your tree? A beautiful bow made out of the same ribbon wrapped around the tree. 18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? I love giving presents. I love picking them out and wrapping and seeing facial expressions when they're opened. I also love getting a present. Who doesn't?
19. What is your favorite Christmas song? I like all the old carols. I think my favorite is O Holy Night. Shagga Bear sings an amazing version of this song at our Candlelight Christmas Eve service at church. I hope she does this year too. hint hint hint
20. Candy canes! Yuck or Yum? Yuck...no two ways about it. I think they are gross.